About the Artist
Russian-born singer/songwriter Marina V is a young and charismatic pop artist with an incredible life story and a “hauntingly beautiful” sound (L.A. Times).
Marina's music is "melodic and passionate" (The Washington Post), which, combined with her "voice of an angel" (The Prague Post) and her rich cultural background, makes this artist truly special.
“If the Beatles and Tori Amos had a child raised in Russia by Tchaikovsky, that would be me,” muses the piano-playing chanteuse, describing her musical influences.
Now a true California girl, the red-headed songstress grew up in Moscow, blessed with a beautiful voice & long last name (Verenikina.)
Raised in a rather unusual family (communist nuclear physicist father & psychologist mother) during the difficult times of the Soviet Union collapse,Marina attended a school of music every evening after regular school, and has written songs since early childhood.
Marina won a prestigious scholarship at 15 to study in America for a year and then permanently moved to the US by herself at 17.
Somewhere between visa issues, crazy odd jobs, missing her family, playing ice hockey and attending college in Illinois, Marina began pursuing her musical dreams, by touring and self-releasing her music, and, upon graduating from college, moving to Los Angeles.
With humble yet impressive beginnings (having played 125 shows at Borders Books & Music stores), Marina has blossomed into an international voice, performing over 600 shows from NY, London & Paris to Moscow, Prague & Sydney.
In July 2010, Marina is releasing her new album, MY STAR, sponsored entirely by her fans (having raised almost $30,000 from devoted listeners via marinav.com) and produced by the renowned producer, Guy Erez (known for his work with the Gipsy Kings,
Ryan Cabrera, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and many CBS Records artists).
The first track, "You Make Me Beautiful", starts off the album with its catchy pop-hit sound and inspiring words, followed by
vibey and slightly electronic gems like "Thursday Song", "My Star" and a surprise cover of Guns 'n Roses hit "Don't Cry".
The album also features a stunning a cappella performance of a Russian traditional song, as well as a bonus track, a slightly jazzy original Christmas song. KISS fans, you're in for a treat: "Killing My Dream" features the world-renowned guitarist & KISS member Bruce Kulick!
Supported by legions of loyal fans, the environmentally-conscious self-described "cultural ambassador of sorts" is currently touring internationally, inspiring people with her amazing music, unusual story & beautiful spirit.
- Apr 1, 2010 "You Make Me Beautiful" won THE GRAND PRIZE of $5,000, beating thousands of songs on ourstage.com!
- Three of the songs Marina co-wrote aired in several episodes Feb & March 2010 on NBC's famous soap opera "Days of Our Lives"!!!!
- Marina recently raised almost $30,000 from her fans to make her new record (produced by Guy Erez - Gipsy Kings, Ryan Cabrera, etc)
- performed over 600 shows internationally, including prestigious NACA Nationals, NAMM, SXSW & Rotary conferences, world-famous Kodak Theatre in Hollywood & Nokia Theatre in L.A.., the US Embassy in Moscow (May 09) and Russian Embassy Inaugural Ball Jan 20 09 in Washington, D.C.
- toured with international pop star Howard Jones; also opened for artists like Ben Harper
- co-wrote theme song for documentary “Fallen Idol: the Yuri Gagarin Conspiracy,” narrated by Elliott Gould (Ocean’s 11, Friends), released Oct 09
- song “Sunshine Guaranteed” (next to Death Cab for Cutie, NIN, etc!) was included in Tap Tap Revenge 2, the #1 free iPhone game!
- 2 songs on “Simple Magic” were produced by legendary producer, Jack Douglas (John Lennon, Aerosmith)
- Marina was discovered by a famed manager, David Krebs (Aerosmith, Don McLean, Trans-Siberian Orchestra)
- released 3 studio albums and a live album (Modern Fairytale, 2008, recorded at Graham Nash’s studio)
- songs licensed to Actual Reality TV, films; played on DMX (satellite/cable broadcaster with daily listening audience of 80 million)
- appeared on TV shows such as NBC LA & Good Morning Arizona (past guests include Jonas Brothers, Black Eyed Peas, etc)
- "Pesnya O Tebe" is featured in an action film, Direct Contact (directed by Danny Lerner) (June 2009, showing on TMC & Showtime)
- "You Make Me Beautiful" was featured on Windows Media Guide Nov 09 and it was nominated for Hollywood Music Awards!!
- "Unbalanced" is playing in hundreds of stores across Europe!!
OFFICIAL ENDORSEMENTS: YAMAHA pianos, AUDIX microphones & TC Electronics Harmony-M pedal, as well as a special
artist deal with Guitar Center Stores.
for the long & detailed version of Marina's amazing life story! :)