New to the US music scene, solo acoustic singer/songwriter Tracy Rice is fast becoming known for her powerful alto, no-holds-barred lyrics, and passionate delivery. Rice is a consummate entertainer, delighting first-time audiences with a blend of Canadian good humour, husky vocals, and some rock snarl. Her wide-ranging style is most often penned as "pop rock with country influences," but she's been described in various combinations of acoustic, folk, rock, pop, country, americana, and "blue-eyed soul". As an artist, Tracy's sound has been compared to Melissa Etheridge
, Lucinda Williams
, Michelle Branch
or Aussie Anne McCue
. Her latest album (July 4 release), is a gutsy folk pop collection that will stand alongside fellow up-and-comers Rachael Sage
or Garrison Starr
* 2008 - Live at Yadda (May ’08 release) folk pop collection of Tracy’s live solo performances.
* 2006 - Truth, 5 song folk EP.
* 2001 - Out of the Light, pop rock album (singles “Won’t Leave You Behind,” “Stay Away,” "Too Young")
* 1996 - Tracy Rice (London, Ontario, Canada).
Winner 2003 Nashville Song Search songwriting category “Perfect for Terri Clark” for her single, "Won’t Leave You Behind."
Opened for Terri Clark, Tommy Emmanuel, and Carole Pope (Rough Trade).
Regular play on southwestern Ontario and CBC radio stations (Canada).
TRUTH EP (2006) Notables
* Australian fingerstyle guitar master Tommy Emmanuel contributed the acoustic parts on 4 of the 5 tracks.
* ’Runaway Bay’ was co-written with renowned Nashville songwriter Mary ann Kennedy, of 80’s Kennedy Rose fame.
SHOW REVIEW Acoustic Player Magazine, Cactus Café (Austin, TX) (Feb 2006) --- "Tracy Rice is as genuine as 24-carat gold. She is the real deal. Her voice is as clean and clear as a mountain stream, but the power behind it is pure white-water rapids… Hers is a talent truly worthy of attention and respect."
TRUTH CD REVIEW F. Daniel Kent, Out & About Magazine
(Sept 2006) -- “Her original songs are full of equal parts happiness and loneliness; celebration and regret, but above all truth and a compassion for humanity that sees right to the heart of the matter with pitch perfect clarity.”